Monday, February 7, 2011

Product Review: Better Batter Brownie Mix

In addition to bringing you a brand-spanking-new product review this week, I would also like to introduce you to our new format! Instead of our traditional style - i.e. one person reviewing a given product each month to be published in the magazine and shared with our readers - we have decided on an innovative new approach: two reviewers taste-testing a different product each week! You all know me, Kelsey, as your blog mistress and product-reviewer, but now you will also have the chance to hear from Rebecca Collins as we share a new review each week!

Kelsey Ganes, 2010A little bit more about me...
I'm a 20-something college grad, living gluten free for almost 8 years (wow, has it really been that long?!) who has always had a passion for food & cooking and a recent interest in food photography. I have been with Glutenfreeda, unofficially, for a few years now and officially your e-mistress (blogger, Facebook-er & Twitter-er) for six months - I am passionate about our company (of course!) and the world of gluten free living in general. I live in the Seattle area, a great hotspot for gluten free activity (many of you may know Shauna aka gluten free girl, another Seattleite) which has, in no small way, impacted my world view.



A little bit more about Rebecca (Becky) Collins...
I'm a gluten-free mom to a gluten-free teenager, who lives in rural
upstate New York. I come from a family of foodies - there are even a
few professional chefs tossed into the mix - but none are gluten free.
While they watch in fascination, I've been exploring the gluten free
world with growing enthusiasm, and my passion for good food (in every
sense of what "good" means) has been a steep learning curve, with a
growing number of successes in the kitchen. I'm helped greatly by
some great new product lines, and a huge wonderful network of gluten
free friends, and I love being able to share what I've learned so I
might be able to bring good food to some more gluten free tables!

Better Batter Brownies

The Review

Taste
As always, Better Batter comes through with an authentic-tasting product! Rich and chocolatey, but not too much of either - no strange aftertastes (you know what I'm talking about...), nothing but pure brownie deliciousness! I even took a half-pan down to my coworkers and while everyone agreed they weren't "quite like normal", they were gone within the hour with rave reviews! KG

It was virtually impossible to tell the difference between
wheat-based brownie mixes, and Better Batter’s. The infamous “gluten free
aftertaste” was nonexistent. A gluten-eating family member ate the
majority of the pan before he asked, “Uh, is this gluten free?” when
he realized I was eating them, too! These are even comparable to a
scratch recipe batch of brownies from an old cookbook I used before
going gluten free – truly delicious! BC

Texture
So, I followed the directions for cake-like brownies (one more egg, basically) and they came out just as I had hoped. Brilliant direction-reader that I am, I ended up using a too-big baking pan and they came out a little thin, but perfectly cooked, moist and delicious! My only, albeit quite minor, complaint is that they stuck to the bottom of the pan despite ample greasing and I felt like a good percentage of chocolate-goodness was stuck to my pan and spatula rather than my fingers! KG

I followed directions for the chewy brownies, rather than
the cake-like ones. I used two eggs, and baked following the
directions on the box to the tiniest detail. They cooked up
perfectly, with soft-but-crispy edges, and a deliciously moist and
chewy center. There was no grit typical of some gf mixes, and the
texture matched the taste – perfection. BC

Storage
Shelf-stable as always, the box is a little on the large size (though not inappropriately so), but storage is no different than any other cake or brownie mix. KG

This mix is in a box similar in size to a typical brownie mix
– easy storage, even if purchased by the case, which I plan to do next
time, since they’re so yummy, and since gluttony reigns when these
brownies come out of the oven. BC

Availability
Better Batter is available in some specialty and grocery
stores nationwide, and through the Better Batter website. While store
availability is still growing, the best place to be sure to purchase
the mix is through the website (check the website for stores in your
local area). Because of its popularity and deliciousness, however, it
is sometimes out of stock! BC

No comments: