Tuesday, November 20, 2007

South of the Border Thanksgiving Feast

As usual, this Thanksgiving finds me pouring over recipes as I endeavor to make my holiday menu special and memorable. With over 5000 gluten-free recipes on Glutenfreeda.com, one can imagine that selecting a menu of recipes can be more than a little challenging. Add to that the fact that as one of the chefs of Glutenfreeda.com, for me, Thanksgiving always strikes twice. Our first Thanksgiving each year happens in October as we develop and test recipes to add for the upcoming month, November in this case. By the time the second Thanksgiving arrives, we've already had plenty of turkey, stuffing and all the trimmings. So, to once again get excited about turkey, I've got to get as creative as possible... within limits. I have learned through experimentation that NO ONE appreciates too much experimentation with the traditional Thanksgiving feast. Case in point, one year I thought I'd forego tradition and prepare Peking Duck for the occasion. My duck turned out wonderful, but instead of rave reviews it was met with raised eyebrows and incredulous stares. As I explained what the little pancakes were for, eyes glassed over and, well, lesson learned; don't screw with the turkey.

This year I intend to be much more subtle. I am preparing turkey (must-have-turkey) with a latin touch. This year we will have a full house of family members and although no one but me has Celiac disease, everything down to the dessert will be gluten-free. I have a gluten-free household and everything I serve is always gluten-free.

Here is the menu I will be serving:

Appetizers
Roasted Cheese Stuffed Sweet Peppers
Mini Crab & Avocado Quesadillas

Soup
Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup
with Jalapeno Garlic Creme Fraiche

Entree
Ancho Chili Roasted Turkey with gravy
Chorizo Corn Bread Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes with Green Chiles & Cheese
Sauteed Corn, Green Beans, Red Peppers & Onions

Dessert
Layered Chocolate Ginger Pumpkin Mousse


From our house to yours, have a delicous Thanksgiving! Ole!

Chef Yvonne
Glutenfreeda Foods, Inc.

No comments: